Troubled Tree Fern

What the trailcam saw
My tree fern, a present from a friend thirty years ago, has become a key presence in the garden. It's about 5ft tall without fronds and out of my  reach with them. In winter I usually cover the crown with a scrunch of bubble wrap which protects the new fronds from cold and wet. 
Crown of fern which needs protecting in winter

This year I followed some online advice and instead of the bubble wrap I put in a couple of handfuls of swept-up leaves.

Normal unfurling of fronds
To my horror this spring the crown got very damp and cold, all the uncurling new growth except one rotted so in spring there was just one brave but lonely frond. 

                                                                                       

I was worried the whole fern would die, but three months on, it's rallied and now looks just as usual.  Whew!

                                 

This morning I had a nice surprise: As I walked up a shady place in the path, four very excited baby wrens flew into the viburnum right next to me. Their mother gave a few warning chitters and flew them away. But I got a good look.; they were so tiny.





Comments

  1. Lovel to see the healthy fronds. I guess bubble wrap is a better winter protection!
    Michael Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment