Wild Things

"If you have ever spent the night in the open air you know that when we sleep, a mysterious world wakes up in the solitude and the silence" wrote Alphonse Daudet (roughly translated by me). How right he was. The other evening, on slug patrol I discovered a frog sitting in the red pepper plant pot - eyeing me very askance. I wonder if it was related to the small one hopping around in the grass last week?

Later, as I was about to go to bed I thought I heard an odd rustling. Perhaps just my new hearing aids? But I kept thinking I heard something and suddenly a tiny mouse ran across the floor and extruded itself under the fridge. It must have ventured in while I was slug hunting. The problem was - how to get it out. I tried sweeping a cardboard envelope around under the fridge but although the mouse could squeeze in, the cardboard could not. Eventually I lured it with a piece of cheese and put a few more pieces leading to the door and over the doorstep. Sure enough, out it came and sure enough, snatching the cheese, out it went. I think I will scatter some bird seed at the top of the garden and encourage it to think that is the interesting place to be. 

                                               

In fact mice have featured rather a lot in the garden this year. There was the drowned one I found in a bucket, and that evening a tiny dead one in amongst the leaves of a day lily in a flower pot on top of a table. How and why it got there I have no idea - was it the child of the drowned one, did something put it there? It's all very mysterious. 

                                                          

But obviously there are many more mice in the garden than I had been aware of and plenty of other sorts of life (and death) as well.  

Less alarmingly, a robin has taken to following me round the garden (in case I dig up a few worms) and that is very warming to the heart. 


                                     


Comments

  1. I have a young robin which comes and joins me when I am out in the garden. It hasn't yet got its red waistcoat which means that it is not yet subject to attack by other robins who can get very aggressive toward each other I understand -literally 'see red' ! I also have a parent robin that I saw in the birdbath with my family of dunnocks . I keep my eye out for frogs and toads but haven't seen any this year - I hope that yours will be helping to keep the slugs down!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment