Foxy Whiskers


Frosty spiders' webs on my washing line yesterday

After a bout of covid  I have been watching the garden from the warmth of the kitchen and have specially enjoyed seeing the fox having fun in the snow.  There has been just one fox in my garden for about a year. It appears every day, has a good nose round, sits on the shed roof for lengthy periods and has tried to dig a den. Last week, it introduced two other foxes into the garden and they seemed to have a sort of party, gambolling around and having fun. 

Fox party taken from my neighbour's balcony

Since then my fox has been on its own again. It looks very healthy. 

So I did a bit of research and discovered some interesting fox facts. In the first place, they are not pack  animals like wolves, but live alone or in small family groups or skulks. A skulk typically includes one mother fox and up to six  cubs. My fox obviously is a loner. 

                                

Foxes communicate with over 40 different sounds - variations of screams, barks and  howls, many of which I am very familiar with, especially at night,  though I can't understand what they are saying. 



They are omnivores and eat anything from small mammals, frogs, birds and earthworms to berries and fruit. I know they love eggs because they bring them into the garden, eat them on the lawn and leave the shells lying around. 

                                  

Apparently they can hear a watch ticking from 36 metres away which explains why it is so difficult to get near enough to take a good photo. 

Comments

  1. I love reading about your Fox ! XXX Gabriel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment