Who Said Dead?


I never learn. Every winter I look with despair at the dead-looking twigs in the garden, the inundated lawn and cannot imagine anything coming to life again. 

This year there's the little bare-root stick which is the hawthorn I ordered to fill a gap in the hedge. It got a bit battered in transit so I heeled it in near the door where I can keep an eye on it. How can such a pathetic object be alive? 

                                                        

I can't find any little hopeful snowdrops poking though the soil - well I can't even go out to have a proper look because the whole garden is a swampy marsh. 

But I am being so unfair. If I change my eye focus a whole different picture springs to life - I don't even have to wait for Spring. 

There is the utterly reliable Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn', with it's pink marshmallow flowers against the newly painted dark blue shed. It's great cut and in a vase and lasts for ages. I was introduced to this wonderful shrub when I was doing my  horticultural course at Capel Manor and I would never have a garden without it now. 


             

                Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn'                                         Lonicera fragrantissima

There is the winter honeysuckle Lonicera fragrantissima, growing over an arch, which sends its scent all over the garden and provides pollen for any bumble bee fooled into thinking this warm weather means it's time to wake up. 

The silvery-green lamb's tails of the Garrya elliptica really shine out  from its  shiny leaves and next to  it the Nandina domestica has cheerful little red berries and pretty purple foliage.                                             

                      

             Garrya elliptica 'James Roof'                                            Nandina domestica

Are we going to get some cold weather still? I hope so - a short spell anyway - lots of plants need to  be startled into waking up. 

Meanwhile the robin is pouring out his truly remarkable winter aria. When  I first heard it I thought it must  be a nightingale - it's so tuneful and resonant. 

                                                         

                                                                     Happy New Year 












Comments

  1. I had not realised that the viburnum was called ‘dawn’

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment