Slugs and veg

Last year's splendid cardoon, tall and covered with flowers

The year has changed again. It is now nearly autumn - the summer seems to have gone past in about a week. The poor old cardoon, which for the last 30 years has been enormous, was almost eaten to death by slugs this year. I went out twice a day, late at night and early in the morning to catch them and the plant  has actually got two flowers but it is literally half the size. Still, I am happy it has survived.
 
This year's cardoon, half the flowers and half the size, but I'm lucky it's still alive

Cardoon just about to break into flower

The tomatoes, all small ones and in pots are doing well, if a bit slowly. I got three of them from my grandson and three with really tiny tomatoes from a nursery. All are doing well but are taking a long time to ripen. I think I will probably have to bring them in at the end of this month, to ripen indoors. 


                                                           

                                                       Tomatoes taking so long to ripen

The aubergines in a pot are taking too long to grow. I found a tiny aubergine, its own interior eaten beautifully by something and have eaten another one. But that's all I can expect from it this year I'm afraid. 

Only the exterior of this tiny aubergine was left

Here's the Sticky Ginger Aubergine recipe I used from Myriad Recipes for my one aubergine. There should be enough for two people. 

Ingredients: 1 large aubergine, sliced into 1cm discs; cornflour to coat the aubergine; vegetable oil; 3 garlic cloves, minced; 1 inch fresh ginger, minced; 2 spring onions, finely sliced;1 tbsp sugar, 4 tbsp light soy sauce; 4 tablespoons water.

1. coat the aubergine discs in cornflour

2. Place a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and add a good glug of vegetable oil  

3.Fry the coated aubergine for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove and set aside. 

4. Add more oil and add in the garlic, ginger, spring onions, sugar, soy sauce and water. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. 

Add back the fried aubergines and simmer for a further 5 minutes, flipping them halfway through so that each side soaks up the sauce. 

Remove the aubergines and serve up with some rice or noodles. 

Buon appetito!

Comments