Last Signs of Summer


Late summer border: lovely red rose behind the hedge, tiny cardoon, and late purple clematis growing up the arch

I think these are the last days of summer. They arrived late and didn't last long. The days are now shortening and for me next week will be the beginning of autumn. 

My six pots of tomatoes have not ripened very quickly. Some of them are lovely and red but the others are promising but still green.  I am going to leave them outside for another few days while it is still warm and sunny but the days are getting shorter so then I'll have to hope they ripen indoors somewhere. I have a fine crop but they started a bit late. 

So nearly ripe tomatoes

The aubergines have just started to form. I have about five almost ready to eat but they will be small. Like the tomatoes, I shall leave them out for the next fine days and then eat them, which I much look forward to. 

Aubergine I am looking forward to eating

I  have a fine pot of mint, another of parsley, and quite a few herbs in the beds, including plenty of dandelion leaves, which I pick for my salads at lunchtime. The wild flowers are doing well and have brought in more bees. Looking well at this time of year are the red clover and the fennel. 

                                                                                                                         Red clover and fennel                                                                                                                       
The poor old dahlia I have been growing for two years hasn't flowered at all. I don't really know why. I miss it. The other small dahlia I grew from seed has just started to flower. If I can keep it over the winter, it should do well next year. 

The poor old dahlia, lots of leaves and no flowers


New small dahlia, with just one flower

Comments