Herbs for Summer

Rosemary
Dried herbs are useful but fresh herbs are lovely in summer and I have quite a few in the garden at the moment.  The rosemary is looking OK but it is a little low in the ground and doesn't like the wet in winter, so I've taken a cutting or two and hope they will grow. 

                                                                
Sage with flowers                                                              Marjoram with flowers                                 

I have two sages one in the garden one in a pot, which both flowered unexpectedly this year and are now recovering and producing nice new leaves. And I  have a marjoram which I pick quite often and use in most salads. 

I have two pots of parsley which you can't have too much of and a pot of mint and another of basil, all doing really well. 


 
Parsley

Mint

I have a lemon balm in the garden  and a lemon verbena in a pot. 

Lemon verbena

Then I have three bay cuttings in the garden. Two of them will eventually have to go or I will forget they're there and they will grow too big. In the meantime, I can always find a bay leaf when I need it. 

One of my bay cuttings

Herb Salad

Salad: In a large bowl combine 3 cups of lettuce leaves; 1 cup of basil; 1/4 cup of parsley; a few fresh chives.

Vinaigrette dressing: 1 1/2 tbs olive oil; 1 tablespoon  apple cider or red wine vinegar; 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup; 1/2 teaspoon whole-grain mustard. 

Combine all the vinaigrette ingredients with a whisk or a fork and toss with the salad.  




Comments