Peonies


Big pink tree peony

The tree peonies are wonderful. They flower earlier than other peonies and  in windy or wet weather only last a few days, so the rain got at them early this year and I have to make the most of them while they are there.  But they are so gorgeous and huge. Yesterday they were  a bit beaten up because it was a rainy day but today they have recovered. 




But, unlike all the Mediterranean flowers I've been trying to grow for the last thirty years, they bloom wonderfully and hardly need any looking after. I have one red and one pink in different parts of the garden and the bees like them too. I was watching a big queen bee this morning who kept coming back to the red peony again and again. 

The other things I really love are the little species tulips that come up again year after year. I have one called 'Little Beauty' and another with buds, which I can't remember the name of. Just a few brighten up the bed no end. 

Species tulip 'Little Beauty'

Finally, the fox family which uses my garden as its day place, partly because I won't let it dig a den in the garden but also because it's found a good place to survey the world from the top of my shed. 


Comments

  1. The peonies look gorgeous! xx Michael Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pleasure to see the colours and shapes of the flowers. Thank you; Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Peonies and I love your sketch! The fox has real personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All hail the tree peony! I love them. We have a white with blush pink at the anther base and bright yellow stamens, which has the fragrance of roses. A little magenta one which despite its size, it's only a couple of years old, is heavy with blooms. Plus a few others dotted around. I love them they indicate that things are warming up and reaffirm that nature never ceases to bring joy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment