Walking in Caledonian Park


The Clocktower Caledonian Park

It rained so much last week I couldn't get into the garden.  The path became a river. I did see that a day or two after the pond had been mended, there was a whole heap of frogspawn in it. I'll have to wait and see whether it gets eaten before any tadpoles can emerge. But at least I know its being used. 

Wild daffodils in the park

So I decided to take some pictures of the local park instead. This used to be home of the Metropolitan Cattle Market, opened in 1855 as a replacement of the one in Smithfield. It was 30 acres and consisted of the central clock tower, which contains a working clock used as  a prototype for the mechanism for Big Ben.  The tower is a grade 2* listed building and is open to the public. 

A whole box of white Vinca minor
The market was closed in 1954 and some of it turned into flats. These were all knocked down and in 2005 a new estate of houses and small flats was built instead.    

Rather wet crow on a very rainy day in  the park

The estate has been nicely planted with lots of native daffodils, and has a whole meadow for people to walk their dogs or play games with a corner of individual gardens including one used as a kind of allotment, and others with a central lawn and various plants growing at the edges. 
Main lawn at the park with a mixture of daffodils fronting it

There is even a small area of apple and other fruit trees and some young magnolias.

Young magnolia

Finally, my book of the week. It is full of things to think about. 



Comments

  1. Reminds me how much I like this park

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barty - This reminds me to to visit Caledonian Park again - haven't been there for some time.
    xx Michael Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very good park I think, Barty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment