Waiting for Good Weather


Daphne odora

It's very difficult mending the holes in my new pond which were made with a fork to break up the inch deep ice in it. I'd been breaking up ice in various containers and just didn't think. It needs a length of dry weather and so far we haven't had a day without rain. The holes are obviously tiny but big enough to let the water out. Luckily, a little water is still in the bottom, so the two plants I have are OK. But  I am still waiting for a dry day. 

Meanwhile, the rest of the garden is bursting out. It's one of the warmest winters we have had and everything is coming out together. There are the hellebores,  cyclamen and crocuses, mentioned last week, but so much more is appearing. 

I am specially pleased with the Daphne odora, which I took myself from a large plant at Cecil Sharp House, home of the Folk Dance and Song Society, fours years ago. I don't think they do the garden classes any more, but they were tremendous and my Daphne has done really well. 

Daphne odora, four years old

You can visit the garden which was designed by permaculture designer Kayode Olafimihan and is maintained by gardener Susannah Hall and a team of regular volunteers including Good Gym, Camden. It was awarded the Camden in Bloom Best Business Garden in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and is full of ideas  for things to grow (and eat). 

Sprigs of Daphne odora

At four years old, the plant I took from it is full of flowers and two foot tall. I am really pleased with it. 

The primroses are also doing well this year. Last year something ate every one down to the stalk. This year, they seem to have survived and are looking gorgeous.  

Primroses, doing well this year


 

Comments