Ornament


Here is a squirrel caught in my wildlife camera, looking very busy

This is the time to enjoy ornaments in the garden, when the plants are dying they will stand out. My own garden doesn't have a  lot of ornament, but what there is does help to highlight, protect and show off the plants, and to give the garden some  interest in the bleakest part of the year. 

I used to have a Herm, a painted figure on a board, but that didn't last more than two winters because I didn't weatherproof it. 

Herm, painted on a wooden shelf

I have a metal heron, bought in a second hand store, made in Africa, which protects the new pond. I put its feet under a brick to stop it blowing over. 

Metal heron from Africa
I have a cup in a saucer on a stick in which I can put water for the birds in summer. 

Water for the birds

My friend Carol in Cornwall had a sculpture garden filled with her coloured concrete and I have one of her bird feeders in blue. 
Carole Vincent's blue concrete water bowl

Her garden was also sculptured and at the centre was a pond with a  wonderful collection of coloured concrete containers reflected in it. 

Carol's collection of coloured concrete

My son-in-law has a wonderful dead tree which he keeps for  creatures to make their homes in. It makes a super large sculpture. 

And finally, If you are looking for a book to give someone for Christmas, I really recommend The Lost Rainforests of Britain by Guy Shrubsole -  read it yourself first if you haven't already. 

Comments

  1. A lovely way to see the garden in winter. Thank you Barty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment