Autumn Flowers

Cyclamen hederifolium, pale pink
There is a welcome chill in the air. We've had a hot summer which has been strange rather than luxurious and it has gone on for ages. SO much watering of the pots and newly-planted. I am looking at the flowers I've had in the garden this summer, some of which are still out although most are beginning to give up now.

I have a very deep red salvia that I took as a cutting from the street and since then the original has vanished, so lucky I did. A lovely other salvia with lots of colours I was given for Christmas, and kept in a pot. I don't know its name.

And a splendid red dahlia, with dark leaves I got on a trip to Devon two summers ago. It didn't have a name when I bought it. 

Nameless dahlia
Still well in flower are three different sedums which are all very late flowering and go on looking fine even when they are dead

Aster Mönch with Sedum 'Purple Emperor'

 Aster 'Mönch' that flowers really late with geranium 'Rosanne' a deep blue,  also late flowering. 

Aster Mönch on the right with the blue geranium 'Rosanne'
¨
Geranium 'Rosanne' 

Lots of Cyclamen hederifolium. I put in three plants when I first moved in here and they have spread all over the top of the the garden and are making their way down . 
Cyclamen hederifolium a deeper pink variety

Some bright yellow evening primroses which vanished but came back when it rained.  They are bi-ennial so will die but I hope will sow themselves - and that I will recognise their shoots when they do. 

Evening primrose

And the hydrangea I was given thirty four years ago when I moved in - that goes on flowering for ages. 

The hydrangea I have had for 34 years. I don't know its name. 

Some of these will go on flowering for a while yet. After that I will have to rely on the shrubs for winter colour and feed for the creatures.  

Comments

  1. I have very similar plants still flowering, like you, a deep red salvia and dahlia, evening primroses and several sedums. I wonder what the winter will surprise us with !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely to see such a variety of flowers and plants next to each other; Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment