Under the Fronds


My tree fern retained most of its green fronds last winter in spite of the very cold spell we had. A few did turn  brown  in the icy weeks but most survived. Some people break the fronds and bend them over the crown as protection in winter but I always leave them because I like the colours. Instead, I scrunch up a  piece of bubble wrap to keep the cold and wet out of the crown. So the fern still has all its leaves - getting a bit tatty now. Every spring I put my hand gently in the crown  and when I can feel the sturdy new fronds curling up, that's when I cut back the old ones.

Tree fern in winter with brown and green fronds

                                                                               

Tree fern this week, old fronds melding with the witch hazel
                                                                                                                                                               
Over the years I've tried various plants under the fern. It is surrounded by shrubs and a largeish tree and in summer on the sunny side by the Bramley apple. So it is definitely a shady spot and what with the added problems of heavy clay and local gastropods, most plants don't thrive. 

Spring bulbs seem to work, I've grown Anemone blanda, wild daffodils, snowdrops and grape hyacinths. In autumn I've had some success with anemone x hybrida.  Hellebores like it. I have dark ones, pale ones, spotty ones  and doubles. 

                                            

                          A double white hellebore and a spotty pink one growing under the tree fern 

Hostas would be a good bet were it not for the slugs. 

Slugs queuing for a good hosta lunch
 
Ferns under the fern would look great. I thought I might try a Japanese painted fern but there are plenty  to try. Some grasses could work The grass-like ophiopogon with its black strap leaves and nondescript purple flowers and little black berries might be worth a try. 
Ophiopogon

 There is  a patch of epimediums in another part of the garden - perhaps I should move them - they are as tough as old boots and have curious flowers to be admired in winter if you cut the leaves back. 


Epimediums -I cut the longer leaves back in winter to let the flowers show












Comments

  1. hellebores seem to come back year after year and are such stalwarts in the cold season - you could always grow more of them under your fern - love your pics of them too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to be multiplying slowly of their own accord and I have a new double one that I didn't plant myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment