Thirsty Trees


Flourishing cardoon in spite of the drought

Camden Council planted 420 street trees in 2020-2021 and has undertaken to plant and maintain at least 250 new street trees across the borough during 2022-2023. 


A rather thirsty recently planted tree
Sure enough, there are lots of young trees in my area and a good variety too. They include maples, gingkos, a new sort of elm that is completely resistant to Dutch Elm Disease, sycamores, limes, various types of oak, London planes, robinias, cherries, and more. 

Each tree has its big green water bag I think they're called gator bags. A brlliant idea, but I have a worry.  I don't know how often these bags are filled, but every time I have tested any of them, they've been empty. In today's drought conditions I wonder if the trees are thirsty? Perhaps street residents should take the initiative and adopt their nearest young tree  to water.  Each bag holds 20litres which would probably amount to about two watering cans a week. 

                                         

There is one tree  I really like best -  the little olive tree planted outside Salvinos in Brecknock Road. It looks not only appropriately Italian but also very well cared for. 


Happy, cared-for olive tree

Meanwhile my garden is also thirsty. I do try to only water the fruit and vegetables and pots but I think I may have lost the little Magnolia stellata I planted 32 years ago, which flowers so spectacularly in spring. All its leaves have turned brown, it is a sad sight. 

Poor little magnolia

 But not all is lost. My cardoon, normally eaten to within an inch of its life by slugs has six flowers this year - it's too dry for slugs - all of them full of bees. Ha!



                                                                  Stately drought-resistant cardoon




Comments