A Tub of Teazel




As a 'wildlife' gardener, among the things you are hoping to attract are birds, for sure. Plenty of friendly robins and tuneful blackbirds, and charming little bluetits for example. But first of all you need enough food for all that life you are hoping to attract. And I am not talking about bird feeders and prepared seeds. In summer there should  be plenty of bird food in your garden in the form of aphids, moths, flies and other insects. If you have enough of these, the birds will do much of your gardening for you while eating a natural and healthy diet. 

Blue Tit

This year, the birds in my London garden are more abundant than I've ever known them. In May and June I listed 17 different birds including sparrows, robins, wrens, blackbirds, two different woodpeckers, five different types of tit, some cumbersome wood pigeons and three members of the crow family. 

Spotted Woodpecker

The only reason I can think of for this abundance is that I have been introducing wildflowers over the last two years and that has attracted enough  insects to bring in the birds. My two neighbouring gardeners garden rather like me so our three gardens are providing quite a respectable area of pro-insect space. My wildflower areas are tiny. They include a small patch of lawn, a large tub and some neglected corners and yet they are changing the garden population.

For example, the large plastic tub outside the kitchen door has three teazel (Dipsacus fullonam) plants and two musk mallows (Malva moschata) I put in as plugs last year. 

                

               
           Teazel plant in tub

Teazel in flower

The teasel is an architectural plant and a biennial. It's egg-shaped seed heads have pale mauve flowers round the middle visited by the  bumble bees  from my bees' nest and by other insects and later the seeds are enjoyed by birds, particularly goldfinches. And I have seen a goldfinch (not common in my garden) visiting the plant already in anticipation of the seeds - jungle network acts so quickly in the wild world. 

     

                                                                    Goldfinch and teazel

The mallow is perennial and I'm hoping it will seed itself around too. It's very delicate and pretty and attracts lots of insects not just for pollination but to harbour caterpillars as well, so doubly useful. 

                                                    Musk mallow growing in my tub

Wilding takes time and it's easy to get disheartened but it's a pretty good feeling when you think you've achieved something. 



Comments