When is a fungus not a fungus?


Some years ago a fox brought a toy into the garden, as they often do. They sometimes bring hen's eggs, sometimes take-away packaging, often gardening gloves and they do love stuffed toys. This one was,  suitably, in the shape of a fox's head on a piece of rope, presumably a baby's toy. I hung it from a branch of the apple tree, where it has presided over many an unseen adventure and horticultural failure. 

The other day I was in the garden when I noticed a strange white excrescence emanating from the head. I took a closer look and saw it spreading to the earth underneath the tree and floating about in the air. What sort of dreaded fungus can this be I thought. 

The next day I was eating my breakfast  when I saw a great tit fiercely attacking the head and carrying great beakfulls of the white stuffing away to its nest. 

So good bye fox's head - I have enjoyed your company but now you are just nest material. Rest in peace. 

                                               

Comments

Post a Comment