Surprises in the compost

Witch hazel
This is a photo of a spectacular witch hazel I saw at Forty Hall near Enfield this week, just to show that spring is on the way.  

Meanwhile, I've been sorting out the compost, a job I really enjoy. I have two wooden compost bins - one gets filled up while the other is maturing. When the time comes, usually in February or March, I uncover the old one and decant it into old compost bags ready to mulch the garden, specially the fruit bushes and trees. I keep a bit back so I can use it for planting during the year.

My compost bins are useful for storing garden bags 

 My garden compost has increased with my 'wildlife' intentions. Whereas I used to get enough to scatter under a few plants at best, this year I reckon I've bagged up at least 80 litres, which is a truly useful amount. During the lockdown I have been getting things delivered and the cardboard containers always go into the compost. There also seems to be much more garden green growth to add, so several times I have filled the bin to overflowing and had to let it sink a bit before adding more. 

                                           

Going through the compost  is nothing if not interesting and always full of surprises. I am a extremely careful  about what I put into  it - no cooked food, no bones or meat, no plastic and yet here were old plastic stickers, bits of old Sellotape, some unbiodegradable food wrappings, elastic bands - how do they get there? Once I found a favourite (and undamaged) kitchen knife that must have been there for at least 18 months. This time, there was a red-handled teaspoon I hadn't yet missed and, wonderful--to-behold, two frogs, a mother and baby. I hope they survived the disturbance.

I                   



Comments