So Much to Clear

Space under the Fatsia japonica  - now cleared of brambles

There's a change in the garden. It's getting dark and chilly in the evening, the slugs are beginning to tuck themselves underground for shelter and I have the urge to go out there and pit myself against the overwhelming greenery. I have plenty of potted plants waiting for suitable spaces including all those I had to save from the slugs in July - and a whole lot of new bulbs too. In fact the squirrels are already on the lookout for any  bulbs I may have recently planted - but there aren't any yet. 

Although there are actually plenty of spaces for new plants, you wouldn't know it because of the summer spread of undergrowth which would soon choke any new plants.  So every day I've been out there with my trusty fork hauling out stems and roots, filling up the incredibly useful garden bags provided by the local council. 

                      

Two small clearings - the white round thing by the red fork is my sunflower's face, the seeds have already appropriated by squirrels. 

In fact, I have completely filled my compost bin to overflowing, something that's never happened before and am wondering where to store all this stuff until there is room for it- or should I just resign it   to be collected by the council with all the thorny and perennial weeds like brambles? 

                                                       

I have colonies of wild asters, loved by the bees, so I keep several clumps (but enough is enough.) I have what seem like acres of Jack-by-the-hedge which I use as salad leaves in spring, and great quantities of  red campion, so lovely earlier but a thug by now and the very pretty soapwort which, again I've had for years but it has spread too. These things all cling onto their space for dear life and so do the hardy geraniums - and their roots travel all over the place. It's important to get the roots out and that's been a real struggle. 

                                       

My clearing efforts disturbed a couple of frogs, who had made themselves comfortable in an old glass sweetie jar that had filled up with rain water. I was afraid the little one wouldn't be able to get out so tipped up the jar and felt like an interfering busybody. 

                                                    

Now I've cleared several areas for planting and there's something really satisfying about the neatness and readiness of these beds. I'm happy to find the soil healthy, full of worms and other life, so the new plants should settle in nicely. 

By the way: Camden Think& Do, which I mentioned the other day in connection with wild flower seeds, got in touch to say they are not giving away seeds just now but are likely to do so again in the spring. If you live in Camden, check them out nearer the time (or check them out anyway) at https://www.thinkanddocamden.org.uk 

Comments

  1. Holly Lee-Phillips6 October 2021 at 11:39

    I'm sure those little frogs were very appreciative. Well done for all that work, I'm struggling with even little tasks as it gets colder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment