April flowers


Epimedium x versicolor

I'm really happy with the way all the early flowers have flourished this spring. I think it is the result of building up the beds over the last years so they don't become a boggy marsh in winter. This year the wild violets are everywhere, and there are lots of wild celandine, so perky and shiny, and daisies in the lawn, and dandelions. I remember once, on holiday in Holland, we came to a field so full of enormous dandelions I thought they must be an actual crop. 

Wild violet

Celandine



Anemone blanda

I also have things I planted on purpose like Anemone blanda, (blue and white), snakes head fritillary, dog tooth violets (I wonder why they are so expensive?),  scillas and  grape hyacinths. 

Snake's head fritillary
Dog-tooth violet (Erythronium dens-canis)











I also have two splendid bergenias, a white one called 'Silberlicht' and a really dark pink one whose name I don't know. Even when they are over, their leaves provide a constructive  shape among the other plants.  And, of course there are the Spanish bluebells, which want to take over and I let them in some places because they are  such a gorgeous blue. 

      

                         Bergenia 'Silberlicht'                                       Unknown red bergenia

As for the edible element of the garden, I didn't intend to, but did  in the end buy ten seed potatoes (DesirĂ©e). They are not part of the perennial veg scheme, but I do love digging them up when they are ready. I put a handful of my own compost in the bottom of each hole, then the potatoes then covered them with wool compost and  covered that with a length of chicken wire. Next morning, the one potato not covered by the wire had been dug up by a squirrel. Nothing daunted, I planted it back in again and covered it with an upturned wire hanging basket. Ha!

This week I received a delivery of five plugs of a plant called Bacopa monieri or water hyssop. I once saw this at a friend's cottage in Ireland and wanted it. It has lush green foliage and tiny white flowers. It tumbles down rather like aubretia so is good for hanging baskets and raised beds. I unpacked the little things and was moved by their vulnerability. Then I saw the message on the box: 'Careful -  babies'. I have, very carefully potted them up and they are sitting outside under a large cloche and looking, I must say, quite happy. 


Comments

  1. Sally and I were just commenting on the abundance of violets this year ! and I was envying her her white fritillary. I think I have much the same flowers out as you but sadly no Erythronium which look so delicate and dainty above their sturdy leaves - and of course, no water hyssop - which must be crying out for rain at the moment ?! We are fortunate in having three rainwater butts from which we are able to pump water up the garden to encourage the potatoes and broad and runner beans - but that water is not going to last for ever and the forecast doesn't mention April showers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is a problem. I only have one water butt and no room for more. I keep trying to work out solutions - Like not watering! - which is partly what forest gardening (or wilding) is all about. But there are always the pots which do need water.

      Delete

Post a Comment