Last Flowers of Summer

Green tomatoes
We still haven't had a good rain and thank goodness for the things that haven't needed watering. These include the wild Michaelmas daisies that crop up every year and are visited by many different bees and the sedums although for some curious reason are not attracting the bees that usually love them. I will be really pleased when the rain comes because I don't know how long I'll  be able to go on watering. 

Michaelmas daisies
Some roses have flowered since the last rain, my foxgloves, planted in spring are flowering - a beautiful white. 

White foxgloves 
I have just put in some foxgloves for next year, which could do with a bit of rain. The dahlias are wonderful but do need watering.

There are other flowers that wouldn't need watering if they weren't in pots such as the Verbena bonariensis which I have not been able to plant out because of the drought and next year I should have much less watering to do. 

I have cut back all the tomatoes because the days are getting shorter and I have discovered that if they don't all ripen (which most of them will) , they can be eaten unripe if cooked. 

Comments