Cyclamen hederifolium, Cats and a Moth


Cyclamen hederifolium
The cyclamen hederifolium, which have  had no watering this year have appeared early, in masses, a lot of them are white. They are also called sowbread and ivy leaved cyclamen. I first planted about three and they have spread themselves all over the garden. I also have the spring ones Cyclamen coum but it is the autumn ones that spread and really look like something in the garden - no watering.  

More cyclamen  hederifolium
They like shade and are hardy in very low temperatures in winter and will withstand drought in summer, as indeed they have. What they can't stand is wet soil. My garden is clay so I have gradually raised the level with compost over the years and the cyclamen have thrived and spread themselves all over the garden. 

I have been looking through my outdoor camera at some of the animals that visit the garden. So many come at night and not during the day, so they are completely unknown to me.  There are two cats, completely unalike,  one an everyday brown one, the other a particularly beautiful grey furry one. 


Everyday cat in the garden
They grey one cannot imagine anyone disliking it and as I don't want any cats in my garden, which is devoted to wildlife, it cannot understand what's the matter with me. It came right into the house and lay around on the floor waiting for me to stroke it. I crossly put it out and it was amazed. 

White fluffy cat
I have had very few butterflies this year, but plenty of moths. The most amazing one was a Jersey Tiger Moth which I have had before, so beautifully striped with a bright red bit in the middle. 

Jersey Tiger Moth


Comments

  1. Like you I suddenly had cyclamen popping up all over the place - mostly white - but no cats now. We used to have no end and wished we'd had a water pistol to discourage them ! Rom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment