Counting the Birds

First early crocuses of the year

This year I decided to take part in the RSPB's Big Garden Bird Count. I've tried before but somehow the birds get word of it and fail to visit the garden at all while I am watching. Of course, there are usually a few birds in the garden at all times, but I notice there seems to be a time when  they visit en masse - presumably there's safety in  numbers. So this time I decided not to arrange the time in advance but only to start watching when I actually saw a quantity of birds. 

1 magpie
 I had put out one fat ball feeder and one mixed seed feeder because of the cold weather. I don't want to offer more because the birds normally get plenty of food from the garden itself and I feel it's their job to gobble up the greenfly and grubs. There are three bird baths and a miniscule pond, so they have water. 

                                 

                                                                         Two crows

The first count went pretty well though I didn't see the robin or the blackbird that I know are there. I must confess I was sorely tempted to put them  on my list, but obviously that would negate the whole point of the count so I didn't.  I tried again the following day but word had got about and there were no birds all day except one wood pigeon and a couple of sparrows. 

No birds at all 

In the end, the first count was the best. My catch was 1 wren, 5 sparrows, 1 great tit, 2 wood pigeons, 1 blue tit,  1 coal tit, 2 long-tailed tits, 2 crows and a magpie. 

My neighbour next door had a go as well and was able to add a parakeet to her count!

I much enjoyed the whole thing and intend to try again next year. 


Comments

  1. I envy you the tits ! - I have only seen blue tits but I'm hoping they may take a fancy to my bird box this year !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment